Monday, February 21, 2011

Adult Bible Study Curriculum- Watch the Church Lingo

As you are preparing to teach your Adult Bible Study Curriculum you really need to watch the church lingo.  You have probably heard this repeatedly and I have also.  But it is something I have to remind myself of daily and each week it seems like I have to add something new to the category of church lingo.  You really need to avoid throwing around words that people will not understand and "inside" jokes that will only make others feel left out.  Now there is some church lingo that can not be avoided.  Just today I was talking about the King James Version and other versions of scripture.  To my surprise someone in the group did not know what I was talking about.  It led to a great conversation but also a very important lesson that I needed to learn.  Obviously I should not take these words out of my vocabulary buy I do have to be sensitive to explain them when necessary.  We can not assume that everyone has been to church before.  We also can not look down on people if they are not a part of the church culture.  Not all of it is a good thing anyways.  Just a few things to think about as you prepare to teach your Adult Bible Study Curriculum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment