Monday, February 14, 2011

Adult Bible Study Curriculum- Listen

In talking about teaching Adult Bible Study Curriculum, this a principal that I have mentioned before but I was reminded today that it cannot be stressed enough.  You have to give the people in your group a chance to talk.  Not only that you have to listen to what they have to say.  It will give you incredible insight into the prior knowledge they are bringing into the class and what is going on in their lives.  This will make you a much more effective teacher and will make your time in your class more meaningful.  I would also encourage you, within reason, to divert from the Adult Bible Study Curriculum on occasion to fill in the gaps in the knowledge and spiritual walk of the attendees in your group.  This is what I had to do today.  I used the term follower of Christ and several people did not know what that meant.  I realized that was a far more important issue to discuss than what was the intended topic for the day.  I did not act shocked, nor did I get angry.  I do not know whether the church failed them. they have never strived to grow as a Christian, or if they have never spend that much time in church at all. All I knew is that there was a serious gap that needed to be filled so they could become a fully developing follower of Christ and realized the need for me to step up and fill the gap.  I hope you will do the same as you teach your Adult Bible Study Curriculum and the opportunities arise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment